Although the citywide Key to NYC program has ended, MoMath requires all visitors to wear a mask and those ages five and up to show acceptable proof of full vaccination (two doses) against COVID-19. (Note: MoMath does not accept digital images or photocopies of vaccination cards.)
Welcome to the National Museum of Mathematics!
MoMath, the National Museum of Mathematics, is an award-winning museum that highlights the role of mathematics in illuminating the patterns and structures all around us. Its dynamic exhibits, galleries, and programs are designed to stimulate inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of mathematics. The Museum’s innovative exhibits will engage visitors of every age, from 1 to 100!
Check out this viral video about MoMath
- Transformations 2022, the summer camp at MoMath, featuring this week’s theme: “Graphs Galore” (in person)
- Jul 31 — Mathematician in the Museum! with Chaim Goodman-Strauss (in person)
- Aug 1 — Student Sessions: “Breaking Codes” (for grades 5–8) (online)
- Aug 1 — Free-to-members Modular Mondays: learn to fold unique origami designs (online)
- Aug 1 — Ideas of Calculus in Islam and India with Steven Strogatz (in person/online)
- Aug 2 — Student Sessions: “Ghostly Graphs” (for grades 1–4) (online)
- Aug 2 — Math Discovery: “Möbius Madness” (for grades 3–6) (in person)
- Aug 2 — Polyhedra Party with Chaim Goodman-Strauss (online)
- Aug 2 — Volumes: the MoMath book club: a discussion of How to Free Your Inner Mathematician: Notes on Mathematics and Life by Susan D’Agostino (online)
- Aug 3 — Student Sessions: “Points and Shapes” (for grades 2–5) (online)
Ongoing Educational Programs
- Field trips for K–12 classes!
- MoMath Online: Student Sessions (pre-K–12), with select classes free
- MathPlay, the preschool program at MoMath
- Math Discovery, educator-led sessions for students and their families/caregivers from the Museum
MoMath on TV!
Recognition and Awards
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is pleased to have received the following recognition:
- Art by the Numbers: At the National Museum of Mathematics, origami helps bridge the gap between art and math and finds the beauty in both (The New York Times, 2019)
- Editors’ Choice Award: The National Museum of Mathematics is a Top Date Spot for Intellectually Curious People in NYC (DatingNews.com, 2019)
- NYC’s 10 best offbeat and hidden museums (6sqft, 2019)
- MoMath: The National Museum of Mathematics in NYC Helps Adults and Children Better Understand the Universal Language Behind Finance (CardRates.com, 2019)
- Communications Award for Public Outreach (Joint Policy Board for Mathematics, 2016)
- Most Fascinating Museum in New York State Worth Traveling For (FlipKey by TripAdvisor, 2015)
- Best Museum for Kids (New York Magazine, 2013)
- MUSE Award for Education and Outreach (bronze) (American Alliance of Museums, 2013)
Programs for families
Take a tour with MoMath’s Derivatives tour program, or join one of MoMath’s specially-trained educators in Math Discovery, a hands-on classroom experience to discover the wonder of mathematics. Don’t miss your chance to see math in a whole new light, only at MoMath.
Reinvent math class with Expansions, MoMath’s after-school program for gifted students. The application for the 2022–2023 school year will be available soon.
MathPlay, MoMath’s program for preschoolers
Led by an experienced preschool specialist, MathPlay will engage your children in playful activities to help them develop a strong foundation in math, enriching their day with mathematical inspiration.
Take a field trip to MoMath!
Registration for the 2022–2023 school year is open. Click here to learn more and book your field trips and group visits today.
Teachers: bring exciting math exhibits to your school
Visit mm2go.org to learn about Math Midway 2 Go!
Birthday parties and more at MoMath
Host a one-of-a-kind party for your child (or yourself) at MoMath!
CBS News’ Mo Rocca explores MoMath in this episode of Sunday Morning!