MoMath Mayhem — a family scavenger hunt that’s fun for all ages!
Optional how-to-play kickoff: Friday, August 28 at 2:00 pm ET (New York)
Official hunt start time: Friday, August 28 at 2:30 pm ET (New York)
Online closing event: Sunday, August 30 at 4:00 pm ET (New York)
Join the math madness with MoMath favorite Steve Sherman and spend the weekend solving problems in the craziest ways, together with your entire family. Does your family have what it takes to join the adventure?
On Friday, August 28, at 2:00 pm ET (New York), Steve will be on hand via Zoom to teach you how to play, then the hunt begins on your own (via the GooseChase App) at 2:30 pm ET (New York). The hunt ends with a closing ceremony on Sunday, August 30, at 4:00 pm ET (New York), when Steve will share a hilarious compilation of highlights from families around the world.
To participate fully in this program, please download the GooseChase App on your smart device prior to the hunt. You will receive details about the scavenger hunt before the event begins.
This is a live-streamed event. Occasional video recordings are made available for a fee at videos.momath.org.
Please note the following game rules:
The event is appropriate for all ages. To participate, all team members must be in the same location. One person, the team captain, should register on behalf of the entire team, if possible.
Registration closes on Thursday, August 27, at 6:00 pm ET (New York) or when the event has reached capacity, whichever happens first.
To participate fully in this program, please download the GooseChase App on your smart device (e.g., phone or tablet) prior to the hunt. By 12:00 pm ET (New York) on Friday, August 28, you will receive an email providing a unique code to join the scavenger hunt; if you do not receive this email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Friday, August 28, at 2:00 pm ET (New York), you are invited to join an optional kickoff event that will explain how to play the game. Note: hints and clues may be given out at kickoff.
The game starts at 2:30 pm ET (New York) on Friday, August 28. The game will become active on the GooseChase app at this time. It will not be available prior to this time. During the 48 hours of game play, some new challenges will be added at unspecified times and without warning.
One small portion of this event will occur outdoors. This is a scavenger hunt — be smart, resourceful, and vigilant. MoMath cannot be responsible for your safety or offer any provisions since you are beyond the walls of the Museum. Take care to avoid dangerous areas and situations while out and about.
The game ends at 3:00 pm ET (New York) on Sunday, August 30. After this time, you will no longer be able to access the game. The winners will be announced in an online Zoom session at 4:00 pm ET (New York) on Sunday, August 30.
Registration is non-transferrable, and the Museum cannot issue refunds for any reason.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How long will the scavenger hunt take? Technically, you could complete the entire scavenger hunt in a couple of hours. Alternatively, you could work on the hunt on and off throughout the weekend. The host, Steve, framed it as a “48-hour buffet you can visit at any time.” There are about 20 activities for the 48-hour period. You won’t be doing activities the entire weekend. You can take breaks and return to the hunt on the following day. You will earn points for every task completed.
- Will I need to go outside or travel for the scavenger hunt? The majority of the scavenger hunt (99%) is indoors. One activity might ask you to balance rocks, which you can access outdoors. If you do not have access to rocks or do not want to go outdoors, you can skip this activity.
- Does the hunt involve any physical action or activity? There may be an activity or two that invites you to get into a yoga pose or do a dance move!
- Does every player need to register on their own device? Use one device for the whole team to share. The device should be able to capture photos and videos (e.g., smartphone or tablet).
- Can players log on and come back anytime, as many times as needed during the window of play? Yes! You’ll need to use the code provided via email to log back into the game.
- Is the event fee per location or per individual? The $15 fee covers one team in the same location, allowing for exactly one Zoom and one GooseChase connection per team. If your team would like to log in with multiple devices and/or play together from separate physical locations, each separated player (i.e., the player(s) with an additional device or in a different location) must purchase his or her own event registration to reserve the additional Zoom and GooseChase connections.