National Museum of Mathematics
2023 Extensions program
(for students in grades 6–12)
Students can keep their minds sharp from now through the start of school this fall. Join a monthly Zoom session hosted by MoMath's Outreach Mathematician, Chaim Goodman-Strauss, from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm ET, on one Sunday afternoon each month from May through August 2023.
To be eligible to attend this series, students must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Is a current or former student in the MoMath-BNL gifted math program
- Is a current or former student in the MoMath Expansions gifted math program
- Must have successfully completed the ICPS program
- Has been admitted to MoMath's Expansions gifted math program
- Can demonstrate eligibility in a gifted math program, such as enrollment in a gifted-and-talented program or school; and has applied by emailing email@example.com and have been approved by MoMath to participate in this program
Sessions will be held on Sundays from 3:30 to 5:00 pm ET on the following dates:
- May 21
- June 25
- July 23
- August 20
Sessions in May and June will cover the following topic:
"Counting and Beyond!"
May 21 and June 25
How many possible Sudoku solutions are there? How many ways are there to scramble a Rubik’s cube? These examples show that counting isn’t always as easy as 1-2-3! Combinatorics explores ways of managing complicated counting exercises like these, using techniques that touch on many other areas of mathematics. Let’s learn the basics!
Sessions in July and August will cover the following topic:
"Computation is Universal"
July 23 and August 20
Incredibly, there are mathematical questions that one is able to mathematically prove can never be answered. Learn more about this sometimes surprisingly simple, yet mystifying, math.
Payment in the form of a major credit card is required at the time of online registration.
Space is limited, and students will be registered on a first-come, first-served basis. There are no refunds or credits for missed classes. Also note that ineligible students who register will not receive a refund nor will they be permitted to attend.
|Program fee||$ 300.00|